Rental Policy and Process
- Application Process: We evaluate every rental application in the following manner: You must complete and submit a rental application along with a non-refundable $35 application fee and a holding deposit of one-month’s rent. We will then run your application through our screening company, which will check your credit report, background, and rental references to confirm that you fully meet our criteria. If you do not qualify, we will deny your application and return your holding deposit. If you meet our criteria, we will approve your application and send you an email with a sample lease attached. We will then hold the apartment for you until your apartment is move in ready. If you decide you will not rent the apartment, your deposit will be held as loss of rent due to the apartment no longer being rented.
- Rental Criteria: To qualify for an apartment with Port Property Management, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your gross monthly income must be at least two and a half times the monthly rent (i.e. if the rent is $1,000, you must prove at least $2,500 for your gross monthly income). If you are unemployed and/or don’t make the required amount, you will be required to have a cosigner (see cosigner details below).
- Credit History/Background Check. We run a credit and background check on every person over the age of 18 residing in our apartments. There is a non-refundable $35 application fee. Your security deposit is dependent on the outcome of the application (variable dependent on all aspects of the application, though everyone should be prepared to pay a full month’s rent for security deposit). If a felony of any kind or a criminal charge/misdemeanor involving dishonesty/violence or related subject matter is found in your background check, or you are on a Sex Offender Registry, your application will be denied. If your credit is below 620 or you have no credit history, you will be required to have a cosigner. If your credit is 500 or below, your application will be denied.
- If Cosigner is Necessary. If you do not meet one or more of the above mentioned criteria, you may still qualify for an apartment by having a third party guarantee your lease. In order for a cosigner to qualify, he/she must have a credit score of above 660 and provable income of at least four times the monthly rent. The same screening process will be done for the cosigner.
- Move-in Costs. We require First Month’s Rent, Last Month’s Rent and a Security Deposit before moving in. Rental concessions will be applied to the first full month of rent due.
- If we find that you have been dishonest on any part of your application we will deny your application immediately. Please be sure to list all rental references on your application and answer all questions honestly.
- We will gladly rent to residents who have up to two pets if they pass the above criteria and agree to the terms of the Pet Addendum. The monthly fee is $20 for cats and $50 for dogs ($40 each for 2 dogs). No dogs are permitted in or around the premises without prior express approval of Landlord. Dogs must be met and approved prior to accepting an application/holding deposit. See our Pet Policy here.
- Equal Opportunity Housing Provider: We fully comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act. We do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or national origin. We also comply with all state and local fair housing laws.
- Occupancy Guidelines: To prevent overcrowding and undue stress on plumbing and other building systems, we restrict the number of people who may reside in an apartment. In determining these restrictions we adhere to all applicable fair housing laws.
Dishonesty or inappropriate/threatening behavior towards any Port Property Management employee, agent or resident during the application process will be grounds for denial.